Saturday, July 20, 2024

July 20 2024 - Hairstyles Under the Hijab

 

It is the Saturday Globe and Mail with an article on how much people spend on hair care.  They spend a lot.  Really a lot. Naturally the Globe would cover people who do the most interesting things and use all kinds of products on their hair.  Curious and fascinating.  That's the point.  Included in the article is one women wearing a hijab. She describe all kinds of hair care, including colouring.  So I wondered about hijabs and when and where are they required to be worn.  And how the woman behaves in public and private with their hair.

The first thing is this often-repeated phrase about spiritual connection.  Modesty is identified as critical.

"Women who choose to cover their hair do so for their own spiritual connection, but what’s underneath their hijab is also treated with the same spiritual practice, love and care."

 That speaks of official religious principles.  Here are personal thoughts and practices:

“I was raised in the beauty salon. My aunt owned one and getting my hair done was lovely. I’ve been wearing hijab for 18 years, and just because I cover my hair does not mean I’ve stopped caring for my hair. "  Yes - there are hajib-friendly hair salons with private rooms for services.

"Covering my hair has also made me more comfortable with experimenting with styles and colors which I probably would deem too risky if I didn’t cover...What I love most is that hijab allows me to look fly even on a bad hair day."

And  that term "fly" - it is used to describe someone who appears fashionable, attractive, or confident in their appearance.

And who is the family that sees one's hair "at the end of the day".  Hijab wearers can "show their hair to any female whether friend, family or stranger.  The rules are around men - only in front of husband, brother, father, uncles, etc - specifically "blood relations".

This question pops up constantly:  why don't men wear follow the same rules and wear hijabs?  Men are obligated to cover from the navel to the knees.  Hair on the chest and the head seem to be no modesty worry in the official dogma.



This was the neighbour's house number when we lived on Orchard Crescent in Toronto.  How interesting to have a Florida Flamingo.  
 

Read more daily posts here:
marilyncornwellblogspot.com

Purchase works here:
Fine Art America- marilyncornwell.com
Redbubble - marilyncornwellart.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment