Sunday, August 25, 2024

Aug 25 2024 - Butterscotch vs Caramel

 

Yesterday I stopped in at Monk's Chocolate and Gelato Shop and got three kinds of gelato in one tub.  Pistachio, Strawberry and a spoon of Salted Caramel.  They are very happy to pack in multiple flavours.  They are willing to do vertical packing.

A man came in after me and asked if they had butterscotch.  

I haven't seen butterscotch for a long time.  That would be when we were kids going to Avondale Dairy.  It is still there and I drive by it on the way to the garden centre. We enjoyed butterscotch ripple.  Later as an adult, I used to make butterscotch sauce for ice cream (which I made in my ice cream maker).  That means you can have more butterscotch with the ice cream. 

So would you recommend he get caramel for the older lady waiting in the car outside the store?  

I had to look it up to find out.  First of all, there are only a few ingredients - sugar, whipping cream and butter.  And the difference?  Caramel uses white sugar and butterscotch brown sugar.  Butterscotch is heated for a little longer, and with the brown sugar which is made brown with molasses, has a more rounded flavour.  

I guess if we made it ourselves we would taste the difference. Commercially prepared sauces?  I doubt it.  There's all that substituting of ingredients to make prices "palatable."
 

Read more daily posts here:
marilyncornwellblogspot.com

Purchase works here:
Fine Art America- marilyncornwell.com
Redbubble - marilyncornwellart.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment