Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Marilyn's Photos - Aug 19 2026 - Tariff Day

 

It was Tariff Deadline last night at midnight - well the tariffs were to come into effect at 12:01.  That would be after a normal news deadline for the paper version of The Globe and Mail.  I can imagine what yesterday was like.  Did the Globe and Mail have to wait till past midnight for closure on the story, or was the news story set earlier in the day? Yes it did have to wait.  Trump made the announcement on Truth Social at 11:55pm - five minutes before the midnight deadline. 

Front-page print deadlines operate into the "late evening" and final production workflows run deep into the night and can go towards 1:00am or 2:00am to accommodate final regional editions and late-breaking developments.  This isn't a war story, but I suggest it is being treated as one - by both sides.  And of course the drama of an 11th-hour breakthrough would have to be in the headline.

What do I see is I look through the headlines from news sources all over the world?  The BBC says that the announcement came less than two hours before the levy was set to go in place.  That would have meant the tariffs would come into effect at 2:00am in the morning.  None of the other news stories say this, so maybe the BBC wasn't attentive to EDT.  I would think that would be considered sloppy work.

Mostly, the news coverage around the world - Britain, France, Australia, Japan, and other countries read the same - come from the same feeds.   Maybe CP and AP.  Chinese state-controlled media had coverage of the late-breaking tariff deadline, making the last-minute announcement the main news.  The trade relationship would be of interest to China compared to Russia where there is much tension between our countries.  

Let's turn our attention to what the Russian state media covered in the dispute.  "Russian reporting notes how quickly Washington is willing to apply maximum pressure...even against neighbouring partners like Canada."  They highlighted "trade friction within North America as evidence of fractures in Western economic solidarity," and "the late-night pause is characteristic brinkmanship rather than a stable resolution."  Seems insightful and on target, doesn't it?  That comes from AI.  I can't seem to get any articles when I search tass.com.  I do see the Gordie Howie Bridge article where Trump demands half ownership so there is some coverage. 

I wonder how the news will go today.  Will there be a lull as people get some sleep? Will there be bits and pieces as the news sources start to reveal details?  I expect Canadian coverage will be the latter, and all the rest of the media will wait for some breaking-news update. 

      Another watercolour image today - something soothing and calm.
          Read past POTD's at my Blog:

          http://blog.marilyncornwell.com
          Purchase at:
          FAA - marilyncornwell.com
          Redbubble marilyncornwellart.com

          No comments:

          Post a Comment