Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Marilyn's Photos - Aug 26 2026 - When Does School Start?

 

Going back to school stays in the mind long after the experience.  Our society has a back to school sort of frame of mind.  September is the start of many activities, classes and personal projects.  It seems it got wedged into the social psyche.

Perhaps this happens in Canada and Ontario because Labour Day is the marker of the end of summer vacation and the start of school. Most of the provinces start school after Labour Day.  In Quebec it is late August and Saskatchewan September 1st.  There are all kinds of recommendations for getting into the back to school mood.  Everything from decluttering your workspace to updating your wardrobe - these are the sorts of projects in the "adult syllabus."

By this decade, these sorts of advice lists seem silly.  So why not go straight for something that is silly, and enjoy it.

Teacher: "If I gave you 2 cats and another 2 cats and another 2, how many would you have?"
Johnny: "Seven." 
Teacher: "No, listen carefully... If I gave you two cats, and another two cats and another two, how many would you have?"
Johnny: "Seven."
Teacher: "Let me put it to you differently. If I gave you two apples, and another two apples and another two, how many would you have?"
Johnny: "Six."
Teacher: "Good. Now if I gave you two cats, and another two cats and another two, how many would you have?"
Johnny: "Seven!"
Teacher: "Johnny, where in the heck do you get seven from?!"
Johnny: "Because I've already got a freaking cat!"

Nothing like an excellent example of silly.

        Here's the latest in the Saltwater Moon series.
            Read past POTD's at my Blog:

            http://blog.marilyncornwell.com
            Purchase at:
            FAA - marilyncornwell.com
            Redbubble marilyncornwellart.com

            No comments:

            Post a Comment