Saturday, August 29, 2026

Marilyn's Photos - Aug 29 2026 - Street Names

 

I got to thinking about street names and what shows up?  Residents of Ottawa who live on Trump Avenue want the name of their street changed.  I wonder if the street was named for the verb or the person.  While that name may not be popular now, there are street names that will always be concerning. 

What about Canadian street names? Just as there is Another Lake, and And Another Lake in B.C. there is a This Street, That Street, and The Other Street in Porters Lake, Nova Scotia. 

Here's what the author of the article wrote about those names: 

This is like the "Who's on First" of street names. There must be a lot of confusion when people get any of these addresses for the first time.

"Where do you live?" "This Street." "The street we're on right now?" "No, I said I live on This Street, not this street!" "...What?"

There's a Ragged Ass Road in Yellowknife, a Road to Nowhere in Iqaluit.  We all know there's The Tragically Hip Way in Kingston.  Wardner,  B.C. has Ha Ha Creek Road. There's a Twiggly Wiggly Road somewhere in B.C. too. 

And that's just here in Canada, and those are just street names.  Wikipedia has an entry for place names considered unusual.  It is HERE.  It says that Swastika Ontario changed its name to Winston.  It had been named in 1908, long before the Nazi Party, so had to go in for a redo after the war.  The residents of the town didn't like being renamed.

 


        These were from a few years ago - they are living wreaths, but over time the moss degrades.  I haven't been able to find replacement wreaths to do these again, so have plastic succulent wreaths now.  
            Read past POTD's at my Blog:

            http://blog.marilyncornwell.com
            Purchase at:
            FAA - marilyncornwell.com
            Redbubble marilyncornwellart.com

            No comments:

            Post a Comment