Saturday, August 8, 2026

Marilyn's Photos - Aug 8 2026 - Earthworms are Cute

 

Earthworms are cute.  That's because they are small.  I saw one in the bottom of a pot that was filled with water and got it out, despite its substantial wiggling.  An earthworm can survive submerged in water for several days up to two weeks, provided there's enough dissolved oxygen.  They breathe by taking in oxygen through their skin via diffusion.  So I guess in my pond they can live longer as there is water flowing into it constantly.  In that pot, it wouldn't last as long. 

Now consider the giant worm, giant Gippsland earthworm.  It can reach lengths of 3 metres or 10 feet, and there are reports of larger ones. It is native to Australia - and Australia has a lot of earthworms - more than 1,000 native species.  In comparison, there are 120 native species in the U.S. and Canada.  

I took a screen shot and the first image was in the article I read. So this is the actual size of the worm. It is hard to know now what is a real picture and what is AI-generated - sometimes the pictures show earthworms that look like Anacondas - 30 feet long.  It looks like there are giant earthworms in South Africa as well.  The Australian earthworm only surfaces when there is heavy rainfall, which can drown it. It is known as a noisy worm.  It makes a gurgling sound as it moves quickly through its burrows, sounding like water draining out of a bath.  Wouldn't we jump if we heard a noise like that below our feet. 

      I found this image with the Jimmy Van Heusen quote.  I looked up his biography as this seems like a most delightful quote.  He says that he took song writing seriously when he discovered girls.  And like his close friend Frank Sinatra, he spent a lot of time chasing and being chased by women throughout his life. 
          Read past POTD's at my Blog:

          http://blog.marilyncornwell.com
          Purchase at:
          FAA - marilyncornwell.com
          Redbubble marilyncornwellart.com

          No comments:

          Post a Comment