Monday, September 21, 2026

Marilyn's Photos - Sep 21 2026 - What about my hair?

 

There's a headline in the New York Times this morning and it indicates that there was a shooting near Ontario, Canada.  I found this a humorous moment.  There's an awful lot of places near Ontario, Canada.

Let's ask AI what's near Ontario, Canada.  It says Manitoba, Quebec, James Bay and Hudson Bay, and then Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York. Those are the land masses.  Then it goes on to include The Great Lakes - Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake Ontario, and then it identifies inland waters like the Ottawa River and Trent-Severn Waterway.  

That last bit seems strange - why would it have inland waters like the Trent-Severn Waterway? It connects Lake Ontario to Lake Huron and is entirely inside Ontario.  

It seems to me that we shouldn't count on AI to complete primary school homework.

AI accuracy on factual questions is supposedly over 90%.  It seems a low number to me that after scouring all the dictionaries and encyclopedias, it remains at this level.  The Encyclopedia Britannica has an error rate of near 5%, so why not just get the answers from the Encyclopedia? The Canadian Encyclopedia got the answer of what's near Ontario correct, so why not just reference it?  I ask too many questions when I am looking for answers.

So back to our memorable New York Times place reference.  The actual location of the synagogue attack was in Belleville.  I wonder what place the New York Times considers Belleville near to - it has to a place that Americans would relate to.  And the only place would be Toronto. 

We were in Belleville last year - it is a very pretty town east of Toronto.  I visited a heritage home/museum.  I took this picture because it was so strange to me - it is made of human hair from members of a family and the hair is woven into pretty shapes such as flowers and butterflies - a common practice in Victorian times. 

      Read past POTD's at my Blog:

      http://blog.marilyncornwell.com
      Purchase at:
      FAA - marilyncornwell.com
      Redbubble marilyncornwellart.com

      No comments:

      Post a Comment