Marilyn's Photos - Oct 4 2026 - Oktoberfest in Grimsby
can't remember seeing someone wearing lederhosen for well over 60 years. Yesterday our next door neighbours had an Oktoberfest Party and they were dressed up for the event - dirndls and lederhosen.
Being German there should have been Oktoberfest parties when I was a child. But I don't remember any for children. It was the 1950s and the war wasn't long over. My grandfather was one of the founders of the German Club and they would have had an Oktoberfest celebration at Club Heidelberg. I guess then they were for adults. You can still go to Club Heidelberg for Oktoberfest - Lederhosen and Dirndls encouraged.
Here's the dress-up today - these are funny enough as pictures, so you can imagine how entertained I was yesterday to see so many people dressed up. They looked wonderful - next time I will be prepared to compliment them as being so very pretty. In German one would say: "Du bist ein hübsches Mädchen." If they knew German they could reply with "Danke, alte Dame" - which is a polite expression for thank you old lady - as I expect I was the oldest woman there yesterday.
Someone brought a great big pretzel-thing. I don't remember seeing these ever. But then maybe they are contemporary - to be found in ball parks or The Forty Public House, a pub in Grimsby - which is listed as selling them. Perhaps the Dutch Shop makes them especially for the festival season. Seems odd for a Dutch Shop, though. They stick to sprinkles and almond cakes.
Kitchener is the centre of this Oktoberfest celebrations in Ontario with its large German population that came from the 1920s through to the 50s. It goes from September 25 to October 17. Lots of time to get your lederhosen shipped from Amazon.
And here's the Autumn celebration underway right now - pumpkin season. This is last year's display at the RBG. I expect it to be even bigger this year.
No comments:
Post a Comment