Marilyn's Photos - Oct 6 2026 - What to think about
Is there a "question" of the day? I guess so - one can hop over to BrainyQuote or WisdomQuotes and find a question or reflection of the day. Today's "best thought" is: The secret of getting ahead is getting started - that comes from Mark Twain. That's one of those proverbial quotes. Not really a question, either. Try to find a "question" of the day and they seem trite - if today had a soundtrack, what song would open it? What small thing always makes your day better? That's more like an icebreaker in a conversation. Nothing thought-provoking there. And entirely personal - no investigation and curiosity required there.
The New York Times asked 100 scientists to give them the big unanswered questions in their fields. Things like: What preceded the Big Ban? Why do we sleep? Why are humans the only species with a chin? And the all-encompassing question one asked: What is curiosity?
That last one is intriguing. A question of the morning in pursuit of building the curiosity muscle - that would be interesting. I wonder if schools do this - build curiosity skills. There are standardized curiosity quizzes and scales. They seem to be directed to personal growth mostly and how people approach new information, biases, and differing opinions. Getting to know oneself sorts of questions.
I expect that curiosity has to be at the core of research. Here's an expression that makes sense "cognitive appetite" - it is the internal drive that surfaces questions about how the world works.
Asking the question of how to develop cognitive appetite gets a good answer - structured courses that stimulate neuroplasticity, focus and critical thinking. Harvard has on online course titled Cognitive Fitness - eat, sleep, exercise...that quickly moves to lifestyle training.
I was wanting brain skills - focus/attention, working memory, long-term memory, logic and reasoning, auditory processing, visual processing, processing speed and so on. That seems to be offered a udemy.com and it says it is a free course. Introductory offer, I am sure.
One of the gardens on the garden tour has a beautiful statue - I decided it would be pretty in a walled garden setting, so here it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment