Thursday, July 11, 2024

July 11 2024 - Calgary Stampede

 

It is the annual Calgary Stampede.  The front page of the Globe and Mail and an inside special highlight the festival.  Rodeos seem barbaric to me.  Action pictures of a horse appearing to struggle wildly in the air.  Seems to me they are in pain, so I look it up and find that pain is "a common culprit in bucking horses". 

What I can point to is that over 100 animals have died at the Calgary Stampede over the years.  They suffer broken backs and necks, heart attacks and aneurysms.  So far this year three animals have died after being injured during chuckwagon races and the rodeo. 

There are protests but they aren't the highlight - just barely covered, so it would appear that there isn't much sensibility of animal cruelty in rodeos.  

I looked up one or two of the contests - here's tie-down roping - "The cowboy must quickly rope the calf, dismount on the run to reach it, turn it on its side, and tie three of its legs. Time is called when the cowboy throws his hands in the air, and the calf is immediately released." 

This seems to remind me that I have a city upbringing. Of course I would be squeamish about an event that attacks young calves.  

On the other hand, if 80% of Canadians live in urban centres, I might not be alone in my distaste for cowboy traditions. There are 1 million visitors a year - maybe they would still come for the music, art, carnival, and food and they can leave the rodeo behind.  

Here's a picture of Gerry and a Cuban steam locomotive.  A much more enjoyable ride.

Read more daily posts here:
marilyncornwellblogspot.com

Purchase works here:
Fine Art America- marilyncornwell.com
Redbubble - marilyncornwellart.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment