Monday, July 29, 2024

July 29 2024 - Eyeglasses

 

Eyeglasses - corrective lenses - are probably worn by a substantial portion of society.  It says that 64 percent of adults wear glasses and 75 percent need some form off vision correction.  That's a lot isn't it?  More than half of women and less than half of men.  Our time spent on screens is causing more people to need glasses - it is predicted that half of the planet's people will need glasses by 2050.  

There are sunglasses, safety glasses, corrective lenses, magnification glasses. Magnifying glasses have been used for centuries. Where eyeglasses originated is a point of discussion - maybe China, Europe, India,  Maybe Italy.  They show up in portraits in the 1500s.  

Eyeglasses were medical appliances until the 20th century.  They indicated health problems - a person wearing them was a "weakling". They were considered socially humiliating.  But then things changed. American celebrities took on glasses - think Steve Allen and Buddy Holly.  They went from trying to be invisible to being dominant.  Now we seem to be quite captivated by eyeglass frames.  

This chart is at the optometrists and I was entertained by it.  What I notice when I copied it into the post, is that the text is blurry.  I can't seem to read it. Ha! Buy the poster is the message.

Below that is one of the images in the series of hearts and eyes.  As I went searching for images that I've tagged with eyeglasses, many images came up that I've never tagged, all images of people wearing glasses.  I've just reindexed my picture files as there was a MAC deficiency.  I think they'e added some AI features into the latest upgrade of the operating system.  

Read more daily posts here:
marilyncornwellblogspot.com

Purchase works here:
Fine Art America- marilyncornwell.com
Redbubble - marilyncornwellart.ca

 

No comments:

Post a Comment